Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

Thanks to a friend of mine, I found a fantastic fuel additive package that I make myself, is overwhelmingly cost effective, and WORKS!

3 oz. acetone
3 oz. Xylene
8 drops of 2-cycle engine oil

This is for a high performance turbocharged engine. For a normal engine:

3 oz. acetone
1 oz. Xylene or Tolulene
8 drops of 2-cycle engine oil

The acetone assists the fuel in vaporization, but a side effect is that it slightly lowers the octane rating of the fuel. To compensate, you need to add an octane booster. This is where the Xylene or Tolulene comes in. They are powerful octane boosters and will restore the octane at a 4:1 ratio with acetone, and even boost octane at higher ratios.

The acetone, Tolulene, and Xylene are available at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, ect in the paint department.

Mike

Comments

ratios

mpgnut's picture

Mike
I've heard quite a bit about using acetone lately and most was very favorable. How much are you using per tank/gallon?

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

I read that 3 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline is about ideal. I overdid it once thinking 'if a little is good, a lot must be better' and the mileage went right back down to where it was with no additives (but it pinged). With my mix, I use a 6 ounce 2-cycle bottle and add 3 ounces acetone and 3 ounces of Xylene and a couple of drops of the 2-cycle oil (from another container). The Spirit has a 16 gallon tank and I usually fuel up around the 10 gallon mark. That works out pretty well.

BTW, went from around 28 mpg to 34 mpg on the additives.

Mike

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

What brand of 2-cycle oil is it? Is it synthetic? Does it contain PIB?
Larry

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've heard of adding an ounce of Coleman fuel to a mixture similar to yours.

like
0

PIB

iburnh2o's picture

Larry

Welcome to the group and thanks for participating!

It is the PIB's that you are looking for and they can be found in 2 stroke oils' like Torco, up to around 40% by volume.

I haven't tried Coleman fuel as an additive, though I did try it in some early carb expirements. Seems to be some disagreement in the information I have as to whether or not it's the same as "white gas". I had hoped it would completely vaporize/crack in a super carb and while it worked better than pump gas, it did not completely get used up. You'd have to get phenominal mileage increases to justify the high cost.. though with current gas prices.. the margin is changing.

Other things I've tried are good old mothballs, so long as they are the naphlalene ones. One per 5 gallons or so. I had a friend that once got a Ford tempo up about 35% in mileage using mothballs, BUT he was using about half a box in the tank. Engine started getting hot. I've been told some lighter fluids also contain naphlalene.

Another idea is WD-40. Maybe an ounce per gallon. I have not tested that one, yet.

Somewhere I recently stumbled on a guy that was testing different mixtures to see how the additives affected how much you could vaporize. I'll see if I can find the site again and post a link.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

simarcom's picture

Anyone have tried ACETONE only?
I've been reading a lot about it lately and I just want to make sure what's best to improve mileage.

This is a good website:
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Simarcom

like
0

acetone only

iburnh2o's picture

Simarcom

YES, I've used acetone only and was very happy with it. I honestly would use it even if it didn't give me a mileage increase! My test vehicles all ran noticeably better/smoother/more responsive. For most part I agree with Mr. LaPointe, the gentleman behind that site. To find what is best for your vehicle you must test, test, test! I highly recomend a scangauge unit if your vehicle doesn't have a mileage computer. Check gas from different stations. I try and avoid anything with alcohol if at all possible. 87 octane gas, with no alcohol consitently gives me better mileage than 89 octane with 10% ethanol. One situation this might change is if your vehicle is having problems pinging on 87 octane and the knock sensor is retarding your spark. About 90% of premium gas sold is 'wasted' on vehicles that just don't need it. Octane is NOT a measure of fuel quality. Faster burn of lower octane fuels will generally give better mileage on most (not all) engines. I optimize timing / tuning to make most of whatever fuel I decide to run. If we're forced to run fuel with 10% ethanol I will probably advance timing to make use of the octane and hopefully offset some of the inherant loss from the alcohol.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've heard of adding an ounce of Coleman fuel to a mixture similar to yours.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

Sorry about the double post. Newbie figuring things out. :D

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

simarcom's picture

Again about the ACETONE as a fuel stretcher:

50 bucks for this document I found on Ebay:

http://gazarabais.com/acetone.pdf

I'm using acetone actually but no mpg increase yet.

Simarcom

like
0

ouch

iburnh2o's picture

$50! holy sh...

Seems there's quite a few people on ebay trying to make a living selling what is free on the net. Currently listed is a Super MPG Tuneup Report. They blantanly stole from here: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
They give no credit or compensation to the author.

Thats part of the reason for this site...to provide one stop, best and free info to anyone. Save the $$ you're spending on ebay for info that is readily available on the net, and use the $$ to make changes/mods that work. Or...just use the $$ to buy more gas.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

simarcom's picture

For a moment, I thought on editing my last message for copyrights but I think in this case that copyrights has already been stolen and I paid well enough to have other people look at it too.
So I will leave it on for now. Let me know if you think I'm making a mistake here.

thanks,

Simarcom

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

I'll be trying this mix soon:

acetone...3 oz

WD40...3 oz

GP7...0.1 oz

* used at a 6 oz per 10 gallon rate *

The acetone alone gives an mpg gain in warm weather...but in winter...not so good.

The WD40 is an attempt to keep some good gains in cold weather.

Stoddard Solvent 50% Petroleum base oil 25% Naptha 15%

The Torco GP7 is a smokeless synth 2 cycle oil containing around 33% PIB....supposed to increase power and mpg some...reduce ping, etc.

Will try replacing the WD40 with Coleman's or mineral spirits using the same amount...3 oz.

Coleman's

naphtha 45-50%
Aliphatic petroleum distillates 45-50% Xylene 2%
Toluene 2%

Might also double the GP7 amount to 0.2 oz per 10 G as recommended by LaPointe.

* note...all this is untested * look before you leap *

* final note...I'd just skip the WD40 and try the Coleman's or mineral spirits...maybe at 1 oz rather than 3? *

like
0

Lower octane and acetone?

Houckster's picture

Used in the amount that we are here, acetone really has no significant impact on the octane of the fuel but it should certainly not lower it. Acetone is 150 octane. :)

I have e-mailed Louis LaPointe for his suggestions for a fuel mileage enhancement recipe. I'll post his comments here when I get them.

Currently, I'm using the following products per 10 gallons:

  • 1) 3 oz. acetone

  • 2) 2 oz. Gunk Carb-Medic

  • 3) 1 oz. Ethos FR

  • 4) .6 oz PRI-G

  • 5) .5 oz. Torco GP-7

[/]

like
0

homebrew

iburnh2o's picture

Houckster...

Wondering what kind of results your recipe is giving?
Have you tested it in different combination or just per Louis LaPointe
instructions?

THANKS!

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

Houckster's picture

I've just started testing this particular combination so I can't really say how things are going. I just did my first miles on it yesterday.

A comparison is going to be tough since we have just gone to winter fuel and my mileage is dropping. Prior to that my 4-tank average was at 20.6 MPG which is, I think, excellent for a Ford Ranger FX4 with a 4.0L V-6, 4.10 rear and 4WD. The EPA rates this vehicle at 15/19. About 75% of my driving is light city/suburban.

The newest additions are the Gunk Carb-Medic and the GP-7. I've been using acetone and Ethos-FR for some time.

like
0

Re: Lower octane and acetone?

E=mc2's picture

Houckster wrote:

Currently, I'm using the following products per 10 gallons:

  • 1) 3 oz. acetone

  • 2) 2 oz. Gunk Carb-Medic

  • 3) 1 oz. Ethos FR

  • 4) .6 oz PRI-G

  • 5) .5 oz. Torco GP-7

Wondering what the PRI-G stuff is?

Far as I can tell...Gunk Carb-Medic is probably mineral spirits...but might have proprietary ingredients also.

I think LaPointe recommends using the GP7 at a .2 oz per 10 gallon rate...if I have it right. I'm trying it at .1 oz per 10.

Anyone should probably avoid WD40...makes a foul mix that will give you a headache. Coleman's or mineral spirits....

I'm currently working on 3-4 ideas:

ideas = unproven hypotheses

* using neo magnets to "potentiate" other mpg boosters...this involves reducing acetone (and other boosters proportionally) to around 1 oz per 10 gallons with these installed.

* using Coleman's or mineral spirits as a boost for acetone.
Coleman's is made to burn clean in camping stoves and lanterns...mineral spirits was tested (info on a website) to be the most "energetic" of several fluids tested.

* GP7 with PIB

* free ozone generator...should act as a synergistic way with acetone, etc...might be most effective with FI-O2 sensor equipped engines?

Do know...assuming a valid 1/2 tank test...that I went from 25 to 31 mpg...a 24% gain...but also have GP7 and WD40 being used. Might be a way to avoid those winter mpg blues?[/]

like
0

home brew fuel additives

iburnh2o's picture

I read somewhere that Louis LaPointe mix with Carb Medic etc etc was causing a user problems with his spark plugs?? I have not personally used this blend but have had nothing but positive results with the acetone mixtures. Has anybody had any negative problems with it??? I've used acetone for some time and have had zero problems. Worst I've personally seen is the vehicle only got about 10% mileage improvement but ran much smoother and tailpipe stayed much cleaner.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

Houckster's picture

PRI-G (PRI-D for diesel) is a additive package that is designed to eliminate fuel contaminants so as to protect the fuel system. I have been using it for years, 1 oz. per 16 gallons.

PRI-G

With regard to the GP-7 treat rate I'm using, the .5 oz per 10 gallons is actually only a bit on the high side. The initial results look good. My guess is that erring on the high side will probably have no negatives other than wasting product.

Still no word from LaPointe about a fuel additive recipe.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

Forgot to mention that I will also be testing DieselKleen in a gas engine...may be a partial replacement for acetone. Might help some in winter?

Far as I can tell...the GP7 at .2 oz per 10 gallons is around 74 ppm...while the patent tests mention a 16 ppm upper limit in the 300ZX tests at least. 50 ppm was tested with jet fuel for "explosion avoidance"?

I was going to test GP7 at 16 ppm until I realized LaPointe had tested it at the .2 oz level....but he is testing it WITH acetone...and I expected that you might want to use more.

I'm testing the .1 oz amount due to thinking that during winter a higher fuel volatility is needed.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

E=mc2 wrote:

Forgot to mention that I will also be testing DieselKleen in a gas engine...may be a partial replacement for acetone. Might help some in winter?

Far as I can tell...the GP7 at .2 oz per 10 gallons is around 74 ppm...while the patent tests mention a 16 ppm upper limit in the 300ZX tests at least. 50 ppm was tested with jet fuel for "explosion avoidance"?

I was going to test GP7 at 16 ppm until I realized LaPointe had tested it at the .2 oz level....but he is testing it WITH acetone...and I expected that you might want to use more.

I'm testing the .1 oz amount due to thinking that during winter a higher fuel volatility is needed.

I have used DieselKleen in my Saturn with some promising results. I stopped using it temporarily when I started testing my Torco T2-i with PIB. I was using 1 ounce per gallon of gas and, according to my Scanguage, my timing didn't seem to be reduced much if any at all. I will start adding different things back in after I get a little more testing with PIB. It sounds like I may be using more Torco than I need. I have been using 1/2 ounce/10 gallons of gas and my mileage doesn't seem to have went down with the winter blend of gas. This is assuming that "winter blend" started on 10/01.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

Man, you guys are my heros! I like the way you think, I like the way you work, I like your methods, and I love the fact that you're sharing your results. I'm working on some other things to share here and don't have the time to do the meticulous work in this area that you guys are doing. Very much appreciated. I'll try to be sure to post enough good stuff to show my appreciation.

As we get the different results back, it is helpful to have confirmation from other users, as different vehicles react differently to different changes. There is a guy at work that will try pretty much anything I suggest, since he drives almost 60 miles one way to work. Right now he's driving a VW Jetta TDI with well over 250k miles. He's been using the acetone alone, but said it didn't affect his mileage either way. Don't know if it's because it's a diesel, because it has so many miles, or some other factor. I told him to keep running it for awhile since many improvement mods take time to clean out the engine before they start showing results. Any thoughts there?

Mike

like
0

acetone + diesel

iburnh2o's picture

MPGMike...

I haven't personally used acetone in a diesel..

Off hand here's a few thougths:
I'd wonder if he changed to blended fuel about the same time? assuming it's getting colder where you/he are??
Or...is he running biodiesel?
I don't know if/how acetone might affect bio D... ? There's also a possibility that the miles might require a cleanout period?

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

He was even adding to one tank then not to the next, add to 2 tanks, skip 2, etc. I've seen other stuff where acetone has been beneficial in diesels.

Just hoping somebody might have epiphany.

Mike

like
0

Read carefully!

iburnh2o's picture

I want to be carefull how I word this so that it isn't taken out of context, twisted and spread around the net.

I want to say that I've used acetone off and on for many years and many thousands of miles. I DON'T BELIEVE IT HAS EVER CAUSED ME ANY PROBLEMS AND HAS CERTAINLY MADE MY VEHICLES RUN BETTER AND INCREASED FUEL ECONOMY.

However, the fuel pump in my wife van recenly failed. This van has 140,000 miles on it. About half of those have been with additives, including but not limited to various alcohols (not recomended), acetone, xylene, tolulene, napth, and many many off the shelf mixes from various companies.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE PUMP FAILED DUE TO THESE ADDITIVES, but since we are trying to present both sides of the mileage game I feel it is important for people to know that expirementing with different additives, modifcations etc, you may do something that can damage your vehicle. This may or may not be the cause of the failure, I personally don't believe it is and will continue to use acetone and other additives.

It's just a reminder that if you wish to do things like this, you are on your own.

cheers

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

Yada yada blah blah blah, dittos on all the CYA crap iburnh2o said. I lost a fuel pump on my '91 Spirit about a month ago, too. It sat for 2 years on the back of some obscure car lot out in the middle of nowhere before we bought it. I just figured the pump went out because of that, but I was using the acetone/xylene additive mix.

Maybe we need to start a new thread titled "Things that make you go hmmm", where we can post this and pics of this street I saw down by Philly. The sign said "Gay Place", and that was the name of the street :-k

Mike

like
0

ACETONE

ukrkoz's picture

hi everyone.
oh boy... what a display of human ingenuity! some mixes remind me of my job as toxycologist, when i'll find some 18 different drugs in a junky urine to enhance and prolong opiates. honestly, don't even want to discuss all the toluene-xylene/ and the rest of the mendeleyev table combos. a) $$$ b)how much solvents can your car take? c) SAFETY?? but no, it's cool, if you do it and it works, that's cool. any one wnats to add MEK? it's very strong medicine!
but, to stick my 2 beans into the pot. i drive 02 honda crv, with - guess what - scangauge on dashboard, so all data are "digital". 3 oz of acetone per 10 gallons work very nice. i had 2.5 mpg improvement (9.4%), not to forget much better acceleration. i discontinued acetone for the purpose of finding the best gas station in the area (mpg dropped immediately) and am working on this. it's very aggravating as i do miss my "elastic" acceleration and better mpg, but i'll do what needs to be done. then i'll tackle that gas with acetone. just like louis laponte advised. as of now i know that chevron does not like acetone at all and shell and arco sell gasohol, which i will never touch again.
but as of over a month with acetone, i liked it a lot.
i went through most of the posts in this thread, some things observed: laponte states that acetone increases octane, not decreases it; mothballs do increase octane; i contacted lubedev.com because of their very snooty remark about torco being the best oil in the world and a) they did not provide any proof after multiple emails exchanged and b) it all ended with their person calling me of psychotic maniacs etc, mixing it with a dose of bigotry, simply because i insisted on any hard data provision. i'd suggest to find a book called THE MOTOR OIL BIBLE (afraid to post link, looks like we have copyright sensitive moderator here) and look at the data provided. judge for yourselves. honestly, i do not think articles posted for general public on the web are "copyrighted", but whatever.
now, simply because i was very tempted by ability to attach a file, i did it.
i think it can be used fir that peroxide/alcohol combo.
if anyone needs MOTOR OIL BIBLE and can't find it, send me a message, i'll email it, i have it on my puter. keep in mind - i am dead royal purple man. worked very nice for all of us in the family.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

Just a thought. Initially I saw improvements in mpg with the acetone, but lately, it doesn't seem to matter whether I use it or not, mileage doesn't seem to change. Now, driving a '91 automobile, I personally never changed the oxygen sensor (only owned the car since July, but logged over 13k miles already). Is it possible that acetone is one of the few "improvements" that actually work with the oxygen sensor, and when it goes bad, mileage shows?

I realize that I'm the one that needs to answer that question by swapping in a new sensor then posting my results, so this is just rhetorical (if enough people raz me about it, I'll probably wind up with that new sensor).

Mike

like
0

MOTOR OIL BIBLE

ukrkoz's picture

ok, oil bible is here:
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html
in blue, down the page. it's said it's free for taking, so look for yourself.

gasoholic, thank you for looking at thinking and destiny. it completely changed me. that's where my posting on this stops, you are welcome to message me, we can go from that, friend.

interesting. so some folks expect acetone to do a non-stop improvement? like an exponential curve? into eternity? of course, it'll help only to a certain point and then stay there or get worse, as your car wears out.
but there's a trick to that. remeber: it's 3 oz per 10 GALLONS of gas, meaning - untreated gas. so, you have 15 gall tank, and you have a habit of adding 4.5 oz acetone, and you refilled with 8 gallons. see where i'm headed to? you had 7 gall of PRETREATED gas left in tank, plus 4.5 oz on top of it.... like louis laponte said: less is bettter! i recalculate acetone for REFILL, not for general tank volume. and everyone should know about close enough how much refill will be. now, scangauge does come handy as it tells you how much fuel you have left in tank.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

johnm's picture

I am trying additives in my GTS to try to improve the 11 mpg I get now. It is a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport with a 400cid engine. I only drive it once or twice a week to the old car show and car club meeting.
Question: Won't the Acetone evaporate from sitting so long between trips? Thanks.
John M.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

Once it gets mixed into the gas it won't evaporate out of the gas. They may both evaporate if the cap gets left off but I don't think the acetone will seperate out.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

johnm's picture

mpgmike wrote:

I read that 3 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline is about ideal. I overdid it once thinking 'if a little is good, a lot must be better' and the mileage went right back down to where it was with no additives (but it pinged). With my mix, I use a 6 ounce 2-cycle bottle and add 3 ounces acetone and 3 ounces of Xylene and a couple of drops of the 2-cycle oil (from another container). The Spirit has a 16 gallon tank and I usually fuel up around the 10 gallon mark. That works out pretty well.

BTW, went from around 28 mpg to 34 mpg on the additives.

Mike

Hi Mike, John M. here. I tried all over town from Home Depot to our locak hardware store and could NOT find Toluene. I did find Xylol Xylene made by Klean Strip which says on the can that it "can be used in place of Toluene to thin specified oil-based paint". Is this what I am looking for??? Thanks. John M.

like
0

Johnm

iburnh2o's picture

johnm wrote:

mpgmike wrote:
I read that 3 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline is about ideal. I overdid it once thinking 'if a little is good, a lot must be better' and the mileage went right back down to where it was with no additives (but it pinged). With my mix, I use a 6 ounce 2-cycle bottle and add 3 ounces acetone and 3 ounces of Xylene and a couple of drops of the 2-cycle oil (from another container). The Spirit has a 16 gallon tank and I usually fuel up around the 10 gallon mark. That works out pretty well.

BTW, went from around 28 mpg to 34 mpg on the additives.

Mike

Hi Mike, John M. here. I tried all over town from Home Depot to our locak hardware store and could NOT find Toluene. I did find Xylol Xylene made by Klean Strip which says on the can that it "can be used in place of Toluene to thin specified oil-based paint". Is this what I am looking for??? Thanks. John M.

John

Toluene and xylene are not that same BUT you can use either as a fuel additive. I've had better luck with xylene if used with acetone for mileage.

Tolulene is commonly used as an additive for increasing octane. Home brew racing fuel recipe known as 'rocket fuel' can be found here:

Rocket Fuel Recipe

I don't believe anyone here has mentioned it, so I'll do so now....
I've consistently gotten better mileage by running the lowest octane fuel the vehicle requires. Lower octane = faster burn (for most part). It's generally cheager and returns better mileage. There are occasionally exceptions ie: you have a vehicle that knocks and is pulling back the timing due to the knock sensor.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

diamondlarry's picture

Quote:

I don't believe anyone here has mentioned it, so I'll do so now....
I've consistently gotten better mileage by running the lowest octane fuel the vehicle requires. Lower octane = faster burn (for most part). It's generally cheager and returns better mileage. There are occasionally exceptions ie: you have a vehicle that knocks and is pulling back the timing due to the knock sensor.

I may go back to running my Diesel Kleen for the cold weather. I stopped using it when I started testing PIB. I was up to 1 ounce/ gallon of gas and didn't notice the timing being significantly retarded. Just in case your not familiar with Diesel Kleen, it is a cetane booster which, if I understand correctly, lowers octane. I've heard different people say the lowest octane you can run without your engine pinging is best for mileage.

like
0

Re: Johnm

johnm's picture

iburnh2o wrote:

johnm wrote:
mpgmike wrote:
I read that 3 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline is about ideal. I overdid it once thinking 'if a little is good, a lot must be better' and the mileage went right back down to where it was with no additives (but it pinged). With my mix, I use a 6 ounce 2-cycle bottle and add 3 ounces acetone and 3 ounces of Xylene and a couple of drops of the 2-cycle oil (from another container). The Spirit has a 16 gallon tank and I usually fuel up around the 10 gallon mark. That works out pretty well.

BTW, went from around 28 mpg to 34 mpg on the additives.

Mike

Hi Mike, John M. here. I tried all over town from Home Depot to our locak hardware store and could NOT find Toluene. I did find Xylol Xylene made by Klean Strip which says on the can that it "can be used in place of Toluene to thin specified oil-based paint". Is this what I am looking for??? Thanks. John M.

John

Toluene and xylene are not that same BUT you can use either as a fuel additive. I've had better luck with xylene if used with acetone for mileage.

Tolulene is commonly used as an additive for increasing octane. Home brew racing fuel recipe known as 'rocket fuel' can be found here:

Rocket Fuel Recipe

I don't believe anyone here has mentioned it, so I'll do so now....
I've consistently gotten better mileage by running the lowest octane fuel the vehicle requires. Lower octane = faster burn (for most part). It's generally cheager and returns better mileage. There are occasionally exceptions ie: you have a vehicle that knocks and is pulling back the timing due to the knock sensor.

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to increase the mpg of my '72 GTS and might enev try it on my '97 Ram 1500.
John

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

* Diesel Kleen at 10 oz per 10 G? *

$ 5.18 / quart

INGREDIENTS................................. PERCENT

ORGANIC NITROGEN COMPOUNDS.......5 - 40
HYDROCARBONS..............................20 - 40
HYDROXY COMPOUNDS.....................10 - 30

--------

Cetane Number versus Octane Number

The octane number and cetane number of a fuel are inversely correlated.

Gasoline is a poor diesel fuel and vice versa.

...a higher Cetane number means a more volatile fuel-diesel

...a higher Octane number means a less volatile fuel-gasoline

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

Cost effectiveness...various additives...various concentrations

This is some info I was working out for my own use...might be useful for comparisons. Prices are actual prices paid.

----

At $2.50 per G ....the cost difference between 21 mpg and 25 mpg (19% gain) over 15K miles is.....$285

The cost to use an additive costing $.20 per 10 G at 25 mpg over 15K miles is......$12

The cost to use an additive costing $.50 per 10 G at 25 mpg over 15K miles is......$30

The cost to use an additive costing $1.00 per 10 G at 25 mpg over 15K miles is......$60

-----

Acetone... $12 per gallon...

* 2 0z per 10 G *.............* 3 0z per 10 G *

128 / 2 = 64............$12 / 42.7 = $.19 per 10 G

128 / 3 = 42.7............$12 / 42.7 = $.28 per 10 G

Coleman's fuel (actual brand) ...$4.64 per gallon

* 5 oz per 10 G *.............* 10 oz per 10 G *

128 / 5 = 25.6..........$4.64 / 25.6 = $.18 per 10 G

128 / 10 = 12.8.............. $4.64 / 12.8 = $.36 per 10 G

Diesel Kleene cetane boost ...$5.18 per qt....

*5 oz per 10 G *.................... *10 oz per 10 G *

32 / 5 = 6.4............... $5.18 / 6.4 = $.81 per 10 G

32 / 10 = 3.2............ $5.18 / 3.2 = $1.62 per 10 G

GP7 synth smokeless 2-cycle oil ...$16 per qt (incl shipping)....

* 0.2 oz per 10 G *....................... * 0.38 oz per 10 G *

32 / .2 = 160................. $16 / 160 = $.10 per 10 G

32 / .38 = 84 ................. $16 / 84 = $.19 per 10 G

Techron Fuel System Cleaner (20 oz.) $8.99

* 2 oz per 10 G * ................... * 4 oz per 10 G *

20/ 2 = 10 ................. $9 / 10 = $.90 per 10 G

20/ 4 = 5 ............... $9 / 5 = $1.80 per 10 G

Mineral spirits....$?? per gallon

* 5 oz per 10 G * * 10 oz per 10 G *

notes......the Coleman's and mineral spirits might be effective if used alone and at around 10 oz per 10 gallons.

Mineral spirits might cost about the same as Coleman's.

There are vague reports of gains of maybe 28-44% using Coleman's....in summer...on the highway???

Some of these might be used in combinations...most likely the solvents...GP7....and maybe Diesel Kleen.

I haven't tested most of these.

A guess would be that a 20% gain might be the most to be generally expected by using additives...so finding a combination that works in both summer and winter...and costs the least would be the goal? Maybe better would be a summer blend and a winter blend?

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

cashman's picture

Hi there from South Africa.

I have a Chev Aveo (Kalos)

Used 1 ml acetone per Litre of petrol (95 octane) and improved the mileage from 12 km`s per litre to 17 km`s per litre.

Have tried it on my VW Golf but do not see any difference.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

iburnh2o's picture

cashman wrote:

Hi there from South Africa.

I have a Chev Aveo (Kalos)

Used 1 ml acetone per Litre of petrol (95 octane) and improved the mileage from 12 km`s per litre to 17 km`s per litre.

Have tried it on my VW Golf but do not see any difference.

Welcome Cashman!

There are certain vehicles that respond better than others. Is the Golf a Diesel?

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

cashman's picture

The Golf is a petrol engine, but I suspect my ignition timing and fuel mixture is out. I need to get that corrected first before I can try acetone again. It has an electronic fuel injection system and therefore needs a VW computer to do the settings.

I read on another forum that a guy in the US tried acetone in a generator set and got 4 more hours out of the same tank of gas.

Another chap in SA has got a 1988 Toyota landcruiser and gets a 25% saving when using acetone.

I believe too much gives the opposite effect.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

iburnh2o's picture

cashman wrote:

The Golf is a petrol engine, but I suspect my ignition timing and fuel mixture is out. I need to get that corrected first before I can try acetone again. It has an electronic fuel injection system and therefore needs a VW computer to do the settings.

I read on another forum that a guy in the US tried acetone in a generator set and got 4 more hours out of the same tank of gas.

Another chap in SA has got a 1988 Toyota landcruiser and gets a 25% saving when using acetone.

I believe too much gives the opposite effect.

I've had positive results. Not as high as some others but I'm happy with it.
If I didn't get an increase in mileage I'd still use it due to how I like the way the vehicles run with. Much much smoother. Tailpipe looks cleaner.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

mpgmike's picture

I know chemically kerosene and diesel are similar. We tried adding isopropyl alcohol with 2 moth balls (naphtalene) disolved in a quart bottle to the kerosene heater. It amounted to 2-3 caps full per 1 gallon tank. We upped the burn time just shy of 4 hours.

Maybe the diesels would respond better to this mix than they do the acetone?

Mike

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

I'm using 1 oz acetone per 2 gallons kero...but haven't timed it.

If you add more volatile solvents to kerosene for use in a heater...you need to be very careful.

I test the flashpoint of the mix by putting a little in a metal jar cap and trying to light it with a match...the match shouldn't light it.

If you get a flash....danger Will Robinson!

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

E=mc2's picture

I'm testing DieselKleen at around 5 oz per 10 gallons....just trying to maintain my winter baseline of 25 mpg.

The thing about DK is that it isn't designed for use with an O2 sensor...so it's possible that something in it might foul the O2 sensor over time...real possible that it won't though.

Same possible issue with WD40 and added oils like MMOil.

If the sensor is fouled...your mpg gains will be lost.

The clean burning solvents like acetone, coleman's, xylene, mineral spirits, etc shouldn't have this issue. GP7...espec at the low concentration used...shouldn't either....apparently the PIB in this oil is a more refined type.

Not trying to push the FEAR button...just something that needs to be considered.

Also have noticed that the commercial mpg boost products are usually over $1.00 per 10 gallons in cost...while the basic solvents and GP7 are usually under $.50 per 10 G.

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

iburnh2o's picture

E=mc2 wrote:

I'm testing DieselKleen at around 5 oz per 10 gallons....just trying to maintain my winter baseline of 25 mpg.

The thing about DK is that it isn't designed for use with an O2 sensor...so it's possible that something in it might foul the O2 sensor over time...real possible that it won't though.

Same possible issue with WD40 and added oils like MMOil.

If the sensor is fouled...your mpg gains will be lost.

The clean burning solvents like acetone, coleman's, xylene, mineral spirits, etc shouldn't have this issue. GP7...espec at the low concentration used...shouldn't either....apparently the PIB in this oil is a more refined type.

Not trying to push the FEAR button...just something that needs to be considered.

Also have noticed that the commercial mpg boost products are usually over $1.00 per 10 gallons in cost...while the basic solvents and GP7 are usually under $.50 per 10 G.

Good points you make there! People need to realize that while there are those of us that are willing to expirement knowing there is a possibility of doing various degrees of harm they may be better off not playing with some of these things. We'll eventually be covering every/any aspect of mileage enhancements on this site. There should be techniques and mods to suit anybodies needs without putting them in a situation they are not comfortable with.

like
0

Improved MPG

johnm's picture

Hi, I just tried a partial formula of additives in my 97 Dodge Ram. I filled up with 87 octane which I normally use(26gal tank). I added 7 1/2 oz. of acetone(3 per 10 gal), and 2 1/2 oz of tolulene(1oz per 10 gal). My normal mpg is 12 city and 17 highway(established over several months)
Yesterday, I went to a lunch with other retired guys I worked with. The trip was 84 highway and 2 city miles. I gassed up today at my regular station and I used 4.4 gal. Works out to 19.54!!
Looked like something WORKED!!!!

John M

P.S. I'm still waiting for the GP-7 I ordered 2 days ago. Will keep this forum updated. John M

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

bemet's picture

If the check engine light does not come on, whatever I am trying is not doing much. :) The check engine light lets me know I have done something significant. The best milage I have gotten with my modifications was with the check engine light on.

like
0

Re: Improved MPG

iburnh2o's picture

johnm wrote:

Hi, I just tried a partial formula of additives in my 97 Dodge Ram. I filled up with 87 octane which I normally use(26gal tank). I added 7 1/2 oz. of acetone(3 per 10 gal), and 2 1/2 oz of tolulene(1oz per 10 gal). My normal mpg is 12 city and 17 highway(established over several months)
Yesterday, I went to a lunch with other retired guys I worked with. The trip was 84 highway and 2 city miles. I gassed up today at my regular station and I used 4.4 gal. Works out to 19.54!!
Looked like something WORKED!!!!

John M

P.S. I'm still waiting for the GP-7 I ordered 2 days ago. Will keep this forum updated. John M

John, most of us are fighting winter fuel... I'm assuming that FL doesn't reformulate fuel in winter due to warmer climate? At any rate that is awesome, thanks for the update. Almost everyone I know has gotten an increase that more than offsets the cost of the acetone.

Now... since we have yet another Dodge owner here.. I just gotta wonder.
Do Mopars generally get worse gas mileage..or is it that the Mopar crowd is intellectually superior and seek out and implement answers to their problems...

like
0

Re: Improved MPG

johnm's picture

iburnh2o wrote:

johnm wrote:
Hi, I just tried a partial formula of additives in my 97 Dodge Ram. I filled up with 87 octane which I normally use(26gal tank). I added 7 1/2 oz. of acetone(3 per 10 gal), and 2 1/2 oz of tolulene(1oz per 10 gal). My normal mpg is 12 city and 17 highway(established over several months)
Yesterday, I went to a lunch with other retired guys I worked with. The trip was 84 highway and 2 city miles. I gassed up today at my regular station and I used 4.4 gal. Works out to 19.54!!
Looked like something WORKED!!!!

John M

P.S. I'm still waiting for the GP-7 I ordered 2 days ago. Will keep this forum updated. John M

Just to keep the record straight, my 'other' car is a 1972 FORD Gran Torino Sport. I just got the Dodge(my first) last December. I traded even for my 62 FORD Thunderbird! I do not think that anything is done to our fuel except jerk the prices up & down. John

John, most of us are fighting winter fuel... I'm assuming that FL doesn't reformulate fuel in winter due to warmer climate? At any rate that is awesome, thanks for the update. Almost everyone I know has gotten an increase that more than offsets the cost of the acetone.

Now... since we have yet another Dodge owner here.. I just gotta wonder.
Do Mopars generally get worse gas mileage..or is it that the Mopar crowd is intellectually superior and seek out and implement answers to their problems...

like
0

Home-made fuel additive

88daytona's picture

For the record:

No Acetone / 1oz to 10
Summer
94 Ram Cummins 4X4: 14mpg 17mpg
86 Jeep CJ7 4.2L Automatic 13mpg 17mpg
88 Dodge Daytona 2.5L manual 25-28mpg 29-32mpg

Winter Fuel with acetone
94 Ram Cummins with acetone 15-16mpg
88 Dodge Daytona with acetone 27-29/30mpg

Didn't include the Jeep because it is mostly my Mother-in-Laws and I do not regularly add to it but am divising a way for her to give it a shot when she throws 15 bucks in it every week.

The 17mpg for the CJ was repeted by me and her over 3 tanks. It is a Jeep non the less and toping it off produces a fuel smell she doesn't like. The rubber gromets have shrunk or the canister purge is not functioning, I haven't had time to chace the smell down yet.

The plugs on my Daytona look beautiful after almost 5000 miles. Just a small amount of white ash and no Tan or Bage color and the tail pipe has no soot fingers in it anymore.

like
0

Pages